Being a Volunteer at either the Cathedral or the Ursuline Convent is a commitment. If you have a spare morning, afternoon or day available weekly or monthly that you can commit to volunteering, we would feel blessed if you would share these hours or days with us. Some of the Volunteer opportunities include:
- Docents – Conduct tours of the
Cathedral and/or the Old Ursuline Convent throughout the year for
groups and individuals.
- Ushers – Assist at Sunday
Masses and at other special liturgies and events.
- Eucharistic Ministers – The role of
Eucharistic Minister is the holiest
of our secular ministers and, therefore, requires permission and the
greatest scrutiny. After
attending a class and being judged qualified, you would generally be
expected to be available
three times a month to distribute the Eucharist. You must be a
registered parishioner and a Catholic in good standing.
- Lectors – Our readers
usually are scheduled to read at one
or two masses a month. As with the
Eucharistic Ministers, a training class and permission are required.
- Clerical Work – Assist with
mailings, general office work, and may include data entry.
- Angels – Because our Cathedral is the home parish of the Archbishop, we host many events on behalf of the Archdiocese. Our Angels assist us during special events at the Cathedral. They are the host and hostesses when we have ordinations, special masses and any events that require the use of the Rectory and the Cathedral grounds. The Angels are a critical and integral part of the Cathedral’s ministries.
- Altar Care – Responsible for
decorating and keeping the altar in order, and maintaining an ample
supply of clean altar linens for Mass.
- Gift Shop – Work in Cathedral and Convent gift shops selling products and admission through a computer point of sale.
For more information, please contact the office at 504.525.9585 on ext. 121.